Translate

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Human Action: My latest at The Foundation for Economic Education








ANYTHING PEACEFUL Human Action Is More Than an Idea
SEPTEMBER 23, 2013 by STEVE ESPOSITO

I've been watching this documentary about Napster called Downloaded. I am reminded of the most important thing in making a great idea work: work. 
It is not enough to just come up with a good idea, even a brilliant idea—even the best idea in the history of the world. You have to do something with that idea.

I know a little something about failing step two. 
In 1995, just about a year or so before the Napster wizards started creating their system, I had an idea as a captain at the U.S. Total Army Personnel Command (U.S. Army Human Resources). I was called to active duty for a few months to build a database application to keep track of all the reserve components soldiers going to and from the Bosnia theater of operations. You may be thinking the same thing I was at the time: "Aren't we already keeping track of that?" Well, technically, we were, but in a very inefficient manner. I was not called in because I had any stellar reputation as a database builder; I was called in because I was the one person in the command who had demonstrated during his Reserve duty that he knew something about building a database and knew something about Army human resources.
Read the rest: http://www.fee.org/the_freeman/detail/human-action-is-more-than-an-idea#ixzz2fqWRVNjg

Ⓐ Steve Ⓐ

No comments:

Post a Comment